Bexar County's Heart MRI A Grand Slam!
Commissioner Tommy Adkisson
April 14, 2008
Some time ago a local executive at the Nix Hospital encouraged a neighbor planning a trip to Brazil to get the "heart MRI" before he went on the trip. His friend took him up on the advice and to his surprise he found that he had two blocked arteries. After cancelling the trip, he scheduled open heart bypass surgery to take care of the clogged vessels. Today, he lives!
Just how many of us have clogged arteries and are walking heart attacks waiting to happen no one will ever know. One thing I do know however, is that far fewer "walking heart attacks" will be found in Bexar County because of the very latest in high tech imaging equipment being made available to us right here in the central part of the County.
UHS installed the equipment as part of an effort to:
- reduce overcrowding at the hospital (emergency center & parking)
- reduce patient length of stays
- improve hospital utilization by imaging exams being performed in the middle of the night
- alleviate need for outpatients to go to the medical center for advanced imaging exams
This heart MRI installed in a brand new modular building next to the Robert B. Green Hospital is one of only two in all of Bexar County!
Here are just a few highlights of these powerful tools of diagnostic imaging:
- Using new magnet technology, the Toshiba Vantage MRI combines comfort for patients with excellent image quality.
- Its very short magnet helps patients who might otherwise feel claustrophobic to be at ease – but the images are far superior to older MRI systems. In fact, for most exams, the patient's head will not need to be inside the magnet.
- It is also extremely quiet. Instead of a loud grinding noise, patients will hear a gentle tapping.
- Another important feature is its ability to provide quality images without injecting patients with contrast, eliminating concerns about patients reacting poorly to contrast agents.
The versatile Toshiba Aquilion 64 Cat Scan also delivers state of the art image quality – showing even the smallest vessels and tissue for quick and precise disease detection.
- Its high-speed, high-resolution imaging captures precise images of any area of the body, including the heart and lungs.
- With the fastest scanning capability in the market, the system allows important diagnostic information concerning the heart to be obtained within a single breath-hold.
- Additionally, it features a highly efficient ceramic material that is able to reduce the overall radiation exposure to patients by up to a 40 percent.
- Its goal is to make CT exams as safe and comfortable as possible.
University Health System Downtown Imaging Hours of Operation
- MRIMonday – Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- CTMonday – Friday 8 am. – 4 p.m.