Welcome to the Bexar Health Care Connection
The Bexar Health Care Connection is an employee health care resource, designed to provide answers to employee questions regarding Bexar County health care benefits. Here are compiled specific details about the health insurance plans offered by Bexar County, upcoming policy changes, and additional employee health care resources.
- Bexar County Benefits Guides
- Passport to Health
The Bexar County Passport to Health is a voluntary wellness program that allows all full-time Bexar County employees to earn incentives by participating in a variety of health/wellness services and activities.
In order to be eligible for incentives, you must complete the following activities by November 1, 2017:
Step 1: Know Your Numbers
- Complete Quest Health Screening
Step 2: Know Your Risks
- Complete Online Aetna Health Assessment/Questionnaire
- If you are not enrolled in Aetna, complete an alternative Health Assessment through the Mayo Clinic
Step 3: Travel to Wellness
- Complete at least 2 preventive Care Exams/ Services
- Participate in 2 Bexar County Wellness Events
- Participate in 2 Community Wellness Events
Passport to Health Booklets are available:
- Human Resources Department
211 S Flores
San Antonio, TX 78204
- Click here to download and print
Once completed you will need to:
- Validate your completed activities with your Aetna Wellness Coordinator (see contact info below)
- Drop off your Passport at the Human Resources Department between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
For more information contact your Aetna Wellness Coordinator:
Roxanne Leal │ 210-335-0909 │ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Step 1: Know Your Numbers
What is a Health Screening?
A Quest Health Screening is a series of tests that includes cholesterol measurement (HDL, LDL, and Triglycerides), glucose, blood pressure, BMI, and waist circumference. This screening will help provide insight about your health status and identify any potential health risks to help you make positive lifestyle changes.
All results will remain confidential.
Remember to fast 9-12 hours prior to blood collection.
After your screening, you will receive an email when your results are ready (within 3-5 business days).
Register for your Quest Health Screening:
To register for your screening go to my.questforhealth.com to schedule your appointment at a convenient Quest Diagnostics Patient Service Center (PSC).
Enter registration key BXCO.
For scheduling questions, contact the Participant Service Center at 855-623-9355 or email@example.com.
- Step 2: Know Your Risks
What is an Aetna Health Assessment?
An Aetna Health Assessment is a brief questionnaire that will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. The Aetna Health Assessment can help you point out your health risks so you can take steps to lower them, find health concerns you didn’t know about, and give you personalized health results to share with your doctor.
Three easy steps to take your Aetna Health Assessment:
- Log in to your secure member website at www.aetna.com.
New to the site? Just click “Register”
- Click on “Health Records”
- Choose the “Take a health assessment” link
For employees who did not elect county benefits, please use the Health Assessment tool provided by the Mayo Clinic.
Print your Mayo Clinic Health Assessment for proof of completion to confirm with your on-site Aetna wellness coordinator.
- Log in to your secure member website at www.aetna.com.
- Step 3: Travel to Wellness
Preventive Care Exam
(Minimum 2 Preventive Care Exams/Services Required)
Talk to your doctor about which exams are right for you!
Physician Office Services:
- Routine Physical Exam
Lab, X-ray or Health Screening Tests:
- Mammogram/ Clinical Breast Exam (not digital)
- Pap Smear
- Bone Density Screening
- Other: For a list of other Preventive Care Exams, please visit: www.cdc.gov/prevention/
Bexar County Wellness Event
(Minimum 2 Events Required)
We encourage employees to attend a variety of events listed below.
- Wellness Lunch & Learn
- Wellness Coaching Sessions
- Deer Oak EAP Sessions
- HEB Slim Down Showdown
- Massage Therapy
- Tobacco Cessation – Quit for Life
- Other Events: For additional events contact Roxanne Anderson at 210-335-0900│firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Wellness Event
(Minimum 2 Events Required)
- YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program
- Fitness in The Park
- It’s Time Texas Challenge (01/01 – 03/31)
- Local Walks/ Runs*
- Use Gym 3 times a week until 10/28/2016
- Other Events: For a list of events around the community, visit: www.fitcitysa.com
*May require registration fee. Bexar County is not responsible for fees.
- Wellness Community Resources
There are several health and wellness events around the greater San Antonio area. Get motivated and inspired by the organizations that have held successful, creative prevention events to support the health and well-being of our community. Below are a few wellness initiatives to help you Travel to Wellness:
Fitness in the Park offers several opportunities to help you improve your physical fitness. The classes are taught by professional instructors and are open to all ages/ fitness levels. Registration is not required. The schedule is subject to change.
To locate Fitness in the Park events visit: www.fitcitysa.com.
The San Antonio Food Bank offers free diabetes education classes taught by Registered Dietitians, Ph.D. Nutritionist and Exercise Specialists.
For more information visit: safoodbank.org/diabetes-classes.
YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where participants work together to learn about healthier eating and increasing their physical activity in order to reduce risk for developing diabetes. This free program is led by a trained Lifestyle Coach. Classes are available throughout our area.
For more information call 210-585-4439 or visit: www.diabeteshelpsa.com.
YMCA’s Y Living Program offers FREE 12-week holistic wellness classes that empower families to obtain total health through enriching the Spirit, Mind and Body. Participants learn techniques to reduce and prevent chronic illness that results from obesity and sedentary lifestyles through educational seminars and physical activity.
For more information call 210-585-4439 or visit: www.diabeteshelpsa.com.
Passport to Health – The Bexar County Passport to Health is a voluntary wellness program which allows Bexar County employees to earn an incentive by participating in a variety of health and wellness services and activities.
Quest Health Screening – Series of health tests that includes: Cholesterol measurement (HDL, LDL, Triglycerides), Glucose, Blood Pressure, BMI, and Waist Circumference. Screenings can help provide insight about your health status and identify any potential health risks to help you make positive lifestyle changes. All results will remain confidential.
Aetna Health Assessment/Questionnaire – 15 minute questionnaire that provides Aetna with important information to guide you to programs that can support your wellness goals. The questionnaire is easy to read and simple to complete. It also provides information to address your specific health needs, and a health summary that allows you to keep record and compare results over time. When you complete the online healthassessment, you will receive a report detailing your specific health risks. All results will remain confidential.
Preventive Care – Focuses on evaluating your current health status and allows you to obtain early diagnosis and treatment to help avoid more serious health problems in the future. Through preventive exams and routine health screenings, your doctor can determine your current health status and detect early warning signs of more serious problems.
- Employee Health & Wellness Clinic
Bexar County provides an Employee Health & Wellness Clinic for the health care and convenience of all Bexar County employees. A Physician or licensed medical provider is on staff daily. Whenever possible, appointments are preferred and may be scheduled by calling 210.335.4WEL (4935). No payment or insurance forms are necessary at the time of service and the $5.00 co-pay charge will be deducted from the employee's following paycheck.
The Employee Health & Wellness Clinic is located at 211 S. Flores, San Antonio, Texas, 78204, under the Bexar County Parking Garage, across from the HR offices.
Services provided by the Employee Health & Wellness Clinic include:
- Pre-employment physicals
- Medical care for minor injuries or illness
- Preventive Health Screenings
- Individualized Wellness Programs
The Clinic is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 11:30 am and from 12:30 pm to 4:30pm. The Clinic is closed on all County Holidays. Questions? Please don't hesitate to call the Clinic at 210.335.4WEL (4935) with ANY health Question!
- University Health System
Bexar County and Aetna are pleased to offer healthcare services for Bexar County employees through Univeristy Health System's network of health centers.
You will receive many benefits, including:
- $5 co-pay for doctor visits and prescriptions
- Primary care, pediatric care and women's health at all locations
- Access to onsite lab and imaging
- Free parking at all loctions
Call 210.358.3488 to select your preferred doctor's office
University Health System and Harlandale Independent School District (HISD) have teamed up to offer the first school-based health center in San Antonio, giving medical care to the students of HISD and their siblings, up to age 18.
Located at 834 W. Southcross San Antonio, TX 78211 on the Collier Elementary Campus! $5 co-pay as part of the Bexar/Aetna/UHS agreement for employees on the Bexar County benefts plan. Clinic is available to everyone!
- Physical exams/Well Child checkups
- Sports physicals
- Minor acute care (ear infections, throat infections, asthma, bronchitis)
- Health education on nutrition, disease and injury prevention
- Medication prescriptions as needed
A parent/guardian must be in attendance at each visit.
Hours of operation:
Monday: 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 1 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Same day appointments are available!
Contact Us at 358-TALK (8255)
- Benefits and Coverage Summary/Explanation
- Plus One Qualifying Adult
A Plus One Qualifying Adult tier has been added to the County's Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance plans. The new tier is available to all employees provided that certain criteria are met, as outlined below:
- The Bexar County Employee and Plus One Qualifying Adult must have resided together in the same residence for at least 12 months, and must continue to do so fro the Plus One Qualifying Adult to remain eligible for benefits;
- Plus One Qualifying Adult must be 18 years of age or older;
- Plus One Qualifying Adult must be financially interdependent with the Bexar County employee, sharing common financial obligations as evidenced by 3 or more of the following documents:
ALL 3 Evidenced Items MUST be turned in and Certified before Benefits are Effective
- Joint Deed or mortgage agreement to demonstrate common ownership of real property or a common leasehold interest in real property;
- A title or vehicle registration showing common ownership of a motor vehicle;
- Proof of joint bank accounts or credit accounts;
- Proof of designation as the primary beneficiary for life insurance or retirement benefits;
- Assignment of a durable property power of attorney or health care power of attorney.
Please note that the following individuals are not eligible for designation as a Plus One Qualifying Adult:
- Parents' other descendants
- Grandparents and other descendants
- Step relatives
- Renters, boarders, tenants
- Employees of the Bexar County employee
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 210.335.2545
- Enrolling in Your Bexar County Health Care Benefits
Annual Open Enrollment
Open enrollment occurs at the end of each year, and is the only time during the year that changes can be made, with the exception of a change in family status.
You can enroll for coverage within 30 days of your eligibility date or during the Annual Enrollment period. If you do not enroll for coverage within 30 days of your eligibility date or during Annual Enrollment, you may not receive health coverage during the plan year unless you experience a qualified change in family status (see Making Changes During the Year for details). The benefit choices you make during your enrollment will remain in effect for the entire plan year (January 1 - December 31). You will have the opportunity to change your benefit selections once a year during the Annual Enrollment period or during the year if you experience a family status change (within 30 days).
Making Changes During the Year
If you experience a qualified change in family status, you will have the opportunity to make mid-year changes to your benefit elections. Changes must be made within 30 days of the event date. Examples of a qualified change in family status include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Marriage, divorce, legal separation, or annulment
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Change in employment for you or your spouse that affects your benefit eligibility
- Loss of other health coverage
- Death of spouse or dependent
- Court Order
- Active Duty Military Leave
- Leave without pay
It is your responsibility to notify Bexar County within 30 days after a qualifying event. Any benefit changes must be directly related to the qualified change in family status. You will need to submit an Insurance Change form to Human Resources and provide documentation of the event, such as a marriage license or birth certificate. Failure to do so will cause you and/or your dependents to wait until the next annual enrollment period to make any changes. Special time frames that apply to Medicaid/CHIP enrollments can be found in the Bexar County 2017 Employee Benefits Guide.
Complete Your EOI Online
If you have elected to increase your group live insurance coverage, you must submit satisfactory Evidence of Insurability (EOI) to the Minnesota Life Insurance Company before the coverage becomes active.
Before you begin:
- Your spouse must be present if you elected spouse coverage that requires EOI (electronic signature required)
- An email address is required
- The process takes 10-30 minutes to complete
- You will not be able to save your work to return later
- Have your medical records available, specifically:
- Name/address of physicians, hospitals, and clinics by whom you've been treated
- Details regarding diagnosis and treatment
To Submit Your EOI visit LifeBenefits.com/SubmitEOI
- AETNA Dental Benefits
Read about your Aetna Dental Plan . Use the bookmarks to navigate to your plan.
Looking for a dentist on Aetna's Dental PPO Plan?
- Go to www.aetna.com
- Highlight "individuals and Families" tab
- Click "Find a Doctor" in Blue Box
- Click "A plan offered by my employer or organization"
- Click Dentist (Primary Care)
- Enter in your zip code, city or state
- Highlight "Dental PPO/PDN with PPO II" network
- AETNA Health Care Resources
- Aetna Navigator
- Aetna 2016 Formulary - 2016 Aetna Pharmacy Plan Drug List - This is a general formulary listing. Members get most accurate plan coverage information by logging into/registering at Aetna.com
- Aetna 2016 Formulary Changes - Aetna 2016 Formulary Updates
- Aetna Choice POS II Plans (Premium and Base PPOs) - Read about the benefits that come with Aetna's Choice POS II Plans (equivalent to the Premium and Base PPO plans).
- Open Access Aetna Select Plan (Executive/EPO) - Read about the benefits that come with Aetna's Open Access Aetna Select Plan (equivalent to the Executive/EPO plan).
- Aetna CVS ExtraCare Health Card - Learn about the discounts offered with the CVS HealthCare card
- Aetna Dental Plans - Learn about Aetna's dental plans.
- Aetna Discount Programs - Aetna's members also get the benefit of discounts on other health-related services.
- Aetna Navigator Secure Member Website - Read about the resources and tools available on Aetna Navigator, the website for Aetna's members.
- Disease Management Program - Learn about the support you get with Aetna's Disease Management Program.
- DocFind Online Directory - Use Aetna's DocFind Online Directory to search for doctors on Aetna's medical plans.
- Informed Health Line - Learn about Aetna's 24-hour nurse line, audio library, and website resources to help with your medical choices.
- Reimbursement Accounts - Quick Reference Guide for PayFlex reimbursement accounts
- Phone Support by a Registered Nurse - Learn about the support you receive from Aetna's nurse line.
- Simple Steps Health Assessment - Learn how the Simple Steps Health Assessment can help you with your health-related goals.
- Understanding Aexcel - Understand how the Aexcel system helps identify doctors who meet certain standards set by Aetna.
- AETNA and Medical Forms
The Medical Benefits Request form allows employees to file a claim for reimbursement. The form needs to be filled out as directed and either mailed to Aetna or faxed to 859.455.8650. If faxed, a cover sheet is encouraged for faster processing, but not necessary. When mailed or faxed, please be sure to include your Aetna ID number and full name.
1) Complete items one (1) through nineteen (19) in full.
2) Complete items twenty (20) through twenty-four (24) only if other medical coverage exists.
3) Be certain to sign the authorization to release information in block twenty-five (25).
4) If you wish to have your benefits for this claim paid directly to your physician or supplier, sign block twenty-six (26).
5) If you have submitted a request for benefits to another plan, including Medicare, attach a copy of the bills you submitted to the other plan and the explanation of benefits you received from the other plan.
6) Attach itemized bills or ask your health care provider to complete the applicable section on the reverse side. The bills must include:
- Patient's name
- Date(s) of service(s)
- Condition being treated
- Relationship to employee
- Type of service(s) rendered
If this information is missing, write it on the bill and sign your name.
7) If prescription drugs are covered under your plan, submit receipts or a Prescription Drug Record form. Receipt must contain:
- Drug name
- Dose per day
- Purchasing Date
- Nature of illness or injury
- Prescription number
- Physician's name
- Pharmacy name and address
8) Retain copies of your bills for your record.
9) Send the completed benefits request and the bills to:
Aetna Life Insurance Company
PO Box 981106
El Paso, TX 79998-1106
- New Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage
When key parts of the health care law take effect in 2014, there will be a new way to buy health insurance: the Health Insurance Marketplace. To assist you as you evaluate options for you and your family, this notice provides some basic information about the new Marketplace and employment-based health coverage offered by your employer.